Musings about life, happiness, theater, and more.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Tough Talks

As a drama teacher, I feel like I have many opportunities to have interactions with students that they will never forget. This is not a responsibility I take lightly, and sometimes it is not something I enjoy.
On Wednesday, I called a very talented student into my classroom to discuss her attitude during rehearsal. She is a bright kid who tends to have a negative demeanor. The musical we are doing is very upbeat and happy, but throughout rehearsals she always looks sullen and sometimes even angry. This means that I feel like I can't give her any major parts or even just a special moment in the show. When we had our conversation, I knew it would be difficult, but I had no idea she would cry! Luckily, her reaction was, "I had no idea. Now that I do, I can change it." I hope she does because after this talk I'd really like to give her a little more in the show.
When I was 12, a director yelled at me because I wouldn't stop fidgeting on stage when I was supposed to be still. I've never forgotten that moment. I know this was different because I had a private conversation with my student, but I still think this was one of those difficult moments that will stick with her forever.
Have you had any conversations with a teacher (or director) that have really stuck with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment