Musings about life, happiness, theater, and more.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Challenges

Teaching drama is challenging because creating a safe environment is even more important than in a core classroom. My 7th grade class did not start out feeling like a team. In fact, it was so bad I had to stop class multiple times for discussions about respect. Discussions that were productive, but definitely not fun.
Now, the class is one of the best I've ever had. The students are far more supportive of one another than any class I've had. They are genuine, funny, and kind.
It's so wonderful when the hard work and long discussions payoff. The results are a class we all look forward to each day. And hopefully, new solid friendships are being formed.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I guess you can't really tie them up in the supply closet *and* have them feel safe, so my first thought is totally shot. Darn it. I think it is impressive that you can even create a safe space in a place as fraught with angst and tween drama as a middle school. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete