Musings about life, happiness, theater, and more.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Getting Tenure

This is my third year teaching in a truly wonderful district at a school that is an absolute perfect fit. My supervisor tells me that next year should be my tenure year. It's frustrating because another teacher who started at the same time as me and has the same credential as me was moved to the tenure track this year. When I asked questions at the district office as to why she was moved and I wasn't, I was told someone made a mistake. That's fine, but the security of tenure sure would be nice. Not only that, but I am constantly taking on more roles at school. I am on the RTI team, I do literacy, I've added some lunch time activities, and am even a presenter at our staff meetings. These are all things I want to do, so don't want to sound like I'm complaining. The problem is that I'm the only teacher being asked to jump through these extra hoops to receive tenure. I'm noticing other teachers get permanent status and they only teach. My supervisor has decided that I need to be a leader at my school, that I need to do all sorts of extra-curricular activities, and even be a leader in terms of drama teachers in the district! This feels overwhelming and strange. I would think my focus right now should be on being the very best drama teacher I can be, so that when I do get tenure they know they've made the right decision. Am I looking at this all wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment