Musings about life, happiness, theater, and more.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Theater Education

I want to start by making one thing abundantly clear - I love my job. Not, my job is alright, but I could do better. No. I freaking love my job. I love the kids, the parents, the staff, the actual work I do each day. At least once a week I tell my students that I have the best job in the world, and I genuinely believe it.
Budget cuts in the arts combined with budget cuts in education make job security and stability as a drama teacher nonexistent.
Before I got my teaching credential, I wanted to work for an education component to a theater company. Then, I got my credential and decided I wanted to build a drama program at a school. I've met that challenge, conquered that goal. All along, I've known I want to do the same for a theater company. Not just work for the education branch, but start one. Now that my job is in jeopardy, I am excited to start reaching out to small theater companies in the area. I can't believe how truly pumped I am! Who knew looking for a job could be such a wonderful feeling?
Now I get to update my resume and get a solid cover letter going. That's right, I get to!
Wish me luck on this adventure. Don't worry. Just because I am looking forward to this new opportunity doesn't mean I will be putting any less into my current position. The school year is almost over, and there is still so much more I want to teach my students! I will make sure they get the best Mrs. Bizzle possible. In fact, I think the excitement I feel about this new chapter will only make me a more enthusiastic and passionate teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment